Fresh Basil might be one of my favorite smells in or out of the kitchen - it just smells like summer to me, regardless of the actual time of year.
This Basil pasta salad combines both fresh basil and our Basil olive oil to really bring that Basil flavor home and keep this light and delicious. The red onion and roasted red peppers help to cut through some of the richness of the olive oil and smoked mozzarella, creating this really great balance of flavor.
- 1 lb fresh/frozen/dry pasta
- 8 tablespoons Basil Olive Oil, divided
- 8 oz smoked mozzarella, diced (we love Caputo Brothers Smoked Mozz!)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Bring pot of water to a boil. If using dry pasta, cook according to package directions and drain. If using fresh pasta, cook 3-4 minutes or until al dente and drain. Toss pasta with 2 tbsp of Basil olive oil and pinch of salt - set aside and let cool for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure pasta doesn't stick together.
Once pasta has cooled off, add in smoked mozzarella, fresh basil, onion, parmesan and roasted red peppers. Stir together gently. Add remaining Basil Olive Oil and salt - toss together to ensure salad is evenly coated. Let sit in refrigerator until ready to serve. Taste before serving to ensure salt and oil flavor is where you want it - add more if needed.
Basil is my absolute flavor olive oil to use in this but there are many other options that you could try!
- Italian Herb EVOO
- Garlic Chili Olive Oil
- Roasted Garlic EVOO
- Sundried Tomato EVOO (try tossing in some sliced sundried tomatoes into that version!)
- Black Truffle EVOO
- Parmesan Garlic Rosemary EVOO